Receives and coordinates incoming calls for organ, tissue, and eye donor referrals. Using donor screening criteria, determines initial medical suitability on potential tissue and eye donors. Coordinates the activities of recovery personnel on tissue and eye cases. Maintains a professional level of communication and immediate response to telephone calls from service area hospitals. Obtains consent and medical/social history from family of donors. The Communication Specialist position is a cooperative effort of LifeCenter, AlloSource, and the Cincinnati Eye Bank.
Essential Job Duties/Performance Standards
- Answers all incoming telephone calls to the Referral Hotline during designated hours.
- Receives and screens donor referrals (according to policy guidelines) of potential organ, tissue, and eye donors from healthcare professionals.
- Immediately triages all organ, tissue and eye donor calls to the appropriate recovery agency personnel.
- Completes referral procedure for all tissue and eye donations regarding referral forms and the data entry of all referral calls in real time.
- Requests consent, via the telephone, from families of suitable tissue and eye donors.
- Completes medical/social history interview and documentation for tissue and eye donation with donor families as required.
- Provides verbal report to the person covering the next shift.
- Provides requested reports, both written and verbal to the Communication Center Manager.
- Attends staff meetings as required by the Communication Center Manager.
- Works 12 hour shifts, day and night,as scheduled.
- Other job duties as assigned by the Communication Center Manager and Executive Director.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. Associates degree or LPN preferred.
- Data entry skills. Basic computer knowledge. Microsoft Office experience preferred.
- Basic understanding of human anatomy and medical terminology.
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements
Work is performed in an office setting. This position requires regular lifting, reaching, bending and walking. You will be required to spend extended periods of time sitting and typing.
Risk Exposure to Blood and Bodily Fluids: There are no known essential functions of your position that may expose you to blood or bodily fluids. LifeCenter's OSHA program will provide you with the appropriate procedures and guidelines. If you need additional training or resources, please contact your manager/supervisor or the Health and Safety Officer.
Please include a cover letter detailing where you learned about this open position (i.e. FaceBook, LifeCenter website, third party website, referral, etc.).
To submit your cover letter and resume, e-mail a Microsoft Word or Rich Text Document to LifeCenter or mail or fax your resume to: